Saturday, April 17, 2010

It's not easy bein' green

Spring is my favorite time of year!

I love waking to the sound of birds calling to each other. I love seeing newborn ducks on the pond near our home. I love the gorgeous display of wildflowers. I love the freshness of spring air (when the pollen count isn't so ridiculously high!). To me, these are reminders of the promise that all things are made new in Him who gives us life.

Along with springtime, comes spring cleaning--including: weeding, trimming, mowing, etc., preparing our lawn and flowerbeds for summer. I really don't mind the yard work...it's fun to see how the hard work now, pays off later (which I can attest to after experiencing a beautiful yard last summer.) Yet, lately, while working in the yard, I find myself daydreaming/wishing for: a sprinkler system, healthy trees, new patio furniture, flowerbeds brimming with an abundance of beautiful flowers (that don't require replanting from year to year), and as long as I'm dreaming, a pool would be nice, too!

As I was spending a typical evening in the yard pulling weeds, God reminded me "you know, it's not easy being green" (and in my sweet, humble spirit I was tempted to respond "YA THINK???") He graciously ignored my attitude and continued "yes, it takes a lot of work to keep the yard and beds looking good. But, remember, you reap what you sow". Then, He got to the crux of the matter..."it's not easy being green with envy, either."

BUSTED!

Yeah...you know what I'm talking about; the whole grass is always greener on the other side mentality. Too often, I find myself not only wanting more, but being jealous of what others have instead of choosing to live in contentment. Yes, I know (well, I don't know from experience, but I've heard) "green" doesn't buy happiness. Many people who are rich in "green" are poor in other ways. They spend their time and money accumulating things yet never truly experience the joy found in relying on Christ and His sufficiency.

Though we may not have much green, we may struggle to live paycheck to paycheck (honestly, I'm always amazed at how it works out each month...on paper, it certainly doesn't!), we may never own our "dream home", drive our "dream car", go on our "dream vacation" or be able to give all we'd like to our children (and now grandchildren); we are incredibly RICH!

We are RICH in the hope we have in Christ; RICH in grace, RICH in love, RICH in generous and faithful family (and friends); RICH in the security that God is with us ALWAYS and He will supply all our needs according to His riches in glory (Phil 4:19).

Yes, we've experienced it time and time again. It's not about how much we do (or don't) have. Our call is to obediently follow wherever He leads; and trust- no matter the circumstance-that He is faithful. He promises to equip us and give us the strength to not just live victoriously, but abundantly as well.

This is our inheritance...this is the legacy we strive to pass down to our children and our children's children. Our desire is to live a life worthy of His call.

Hope you are enjoying your spring as much as I am mine!

Christie

"Godliness with contentment is great gain" I Timothy 6:6

No comments:

It's here!!! Ron tells his story

Love it when my hubby shares!. Though a very condensed version, Ron eloquently shared with our youth group a few weeks ago. Below are his th...