Saturday, November 13, 2010

Aye yi yi....

....my unique guy!!!!!

We're spending another weekend pretty much home-bound. Ron again began experiencing symptoms of dehydration Wednesday. Despite another increase of fluid in TPN, his kidney function was back in the unacceptable zone; along with being dizzy/light headed. As of Friday, he was back on lactated ringers; which he had only been off of about 10 days. Yet we are so very thankful we are able to manage this at home. The IV is a bit of a nuisance since it must be infused as a gravity drip as opposed to going through a pump and being stored in a backpack like his TPN. And since he only has the single lumen PICC, this means he has his lovely IV pole to drag around with him for 4+ hours a day. Unfortunately, for now, he only has a small window of time each afternoon when he is not connected to either TPN or IV. Ella and Mila are fascinated with the wheels on the IV pole and Mila has especially become aware of the IV line coming out of Papa's arm. Neither of them have attempted to pull on it but are becoming curious about it.

In consultation with Dr. A, we've gone over and over what has changed in the last 6 weeks to cause this to repeatedly be happening. The only variable we can come up with is the introduction of a new medication around that time. This medication has never shown in clinical trials to act as a diuretic, but in Ron's case that seems to be what is taking place. It's causing his body to not hold on to the fluid it needs, leading him to become dehydrated. This medication was discontinued as of Thursday and he will have blood drawn again on Monday. Typically, the kidney function looks good while on the daily IV bolus; it's about a week later that the downward spiral begins.

Your prayers are coveted as we seek a resolution to this latest craziness!

Much love,
Christie

"As for me, I look to the Lord for His help. I wait confidently for God to save me, and my God will certainly hear me." Micah 7:7 NLT

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My goodness what a trooper, my goodness what a woman, my goodness what a writer, my goodness what a spiritual inspiration...my goodness I love you. I'm sorry you're going through this with Ron. Ron is blessed for having known and loved and been loved by a woman like you! Keep up the great work and continue to be good to one another. Know that you and your's are in my prayers! Sammie Jean

scgustaf said...

OK, time for me to come out of the closet... My brother happened across your site about 2 years ago because our family name is Nordell. There are a few Nordells in Minnesota, but rarely hear the name elsewhere. We have been checking into your site occasionally, and praying for you ever since. I may have left a previous comment, don't remember. Anyway, we want to let you know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. We just recently became familiar with a nutritional supplement called Reliv that, by the grace of God Who is the ultimate healer, has given many people amazing results. If you know someone in your area who could connect you with info on this, I urge you to do so. Otherwise, I would be happy to connect you with some people who have had similar challenges.
May the Lord bless you, keep you, and make His face to shine upon all of you on your journey today.
Carol Nordell Gustafson
Walker MN
218-547-1567
scgustaf@arvig.net

It's here!!! Ron tells his story

Love it when my hubby shares!. Though a very condensed version, Ron eloquently shared with our youth group a few weeks ago. Below are his th...