Saturday, October 4, 2008

G-tube-less!

I know, I know...it's been too long since I sent out an update! Working really puts a cramp in my ability to keep everyone updated! I don't know where the days go but it seems I'm never for want of something to do! But on to what you all want...an update on Ron!

The last couple of weeks have been up and down. Thursday, September 25, he had his g-tube removed! YIPPEE!!! He has had either a naso-gastric tube (down nose to stomach) or gastric tube (directly into stomach through skin) since October 26, 2007. WOW! 11 months. Last line he has in is his PICC line but I'm sure that will stay awhile since that's how he gets his TPN and they do blood draw through it.

He has had vomiting daily (sometimes twice a day). The vomiting causes him to feel really puny and when you feel you are always on the verge of puking; you have no desire to eat. So it's been a battle to get him to eat and a battle to keep it down! Otherwise, numbers have looked good; now if he could just gain some strength, energy, stamina....

Sunday, Sept 28 we celebrated my birthday by finally being able to go to church! What a glorious day, to be back amongst our church family and to have Ryan, Stacee, Aaron & Kristin with us! One week shy of a year since we were last there (last Sunday to attend was October 7, 2007...and Ron refereed Pigskin Classic that afternoon for our youth). Afterwards, we went home to rest for a couple of hours then met Laurie & Tony who had picked up G'ma from her rehab facility and Papa from assisted living facility for a late lunch at our favorite Italian restaurant, LaBistro. It was very nice to be there after the Sunday rush...we enjoyed a quiet, relaxing meal together. We then headed over to Papa's to relax and watch the football game, have Sprinkles cupcakes & presents and give G'ma her first tour of where her new home will be. It was an exhausting but very fun day! It really took a toll on Ron and it took him until Wednesday to recover.

Our insurance plan year with my school district runs from October 1 to September 30 so we started over with all new deductibles and out of pocket expenses as of Wednesday. YIKES!!!

I headed to Dallas Monday afternoon to stock up on another month's worth of prescriptions before d-day; some of our scripts can only be filled at a specific pharmacy over by Presby. It was a frustrating afternoon; one where I had to keep reminding myself that my circumstances do not determine my joy. I ran into a glitch and had to argue with the insurance company over paying $1900 for his lollipops; ended up coming home empty-handed and spent the next couple of days going through all of our hidden stash--I typically keep a couple in my purse, a couple in the truck, and a couple in "the baby" backpack and fortunately I had some stashed away in another "hospital bag". God bless Dr. Arslanlar and his compassion and willingness to step in and help whenever and however needed; and for listening to this stressed out woman calling on his cell phone (yes, he has given me his cell phone number to use whenever I feel necessary!) 4 minutes after hours...that's when I received word insurance wouldn't pay! But, with his help and of course the fact God goes before us and prepares the way; it was handled and they mailed them to us the next day at the covered price of $10. WHEW!!!!

For my actual birthday (Wed, Oct 1), Ron stepped up to the plate and kept up his tradition of making my favorite carrot cake (from scratch!). Bless his heart, it took him ALL day and he had to do it in stages with napping in between. I was also treated to lunch and gifts by my sweet co-workers. Our friends Ken & Barbie came over to visit in the evening, then Ryan & Stacee brought in dinner; we opened more presents and had the most delicious cake ever. I received the Wii Fit so we had to try that out, as well. I had several calls from the Presby nurses singing and wishing me happy birthday and my good friend, Cindy, came by on her way home from work bearing a card from the nurses on 6West and 3ICU as well as a sweet note from Dr. Shires to Ron. And of course many calls and well wishes from extended family. I AM SO BLESSED!

But the best present of all was that Ron had NO vomiting....first in at least 10 days or more! He then spent Thursday and Friday recuperating from all the festivities.

Nordell life in a nutshell....along with staying busy, busy, busy with wedding plans....5 weeks from the big day!!!

Thanks for your continued prayers and encouragement. We couldn't make it without you!

Love, Christie


"If you understand what I'm telling you, act like it--and live a blessed life."
John 13:17 The Message

If you sincerely wish to feel blessed, make thanksgiving a habit, a regular part of your daily routine.

How has God blessed you? Today take time to make a list of His gifts to you: the talents, the opportunities, the possessions and the relationships that you may take for granted. Then, when you've spent sufficient time listing your blessings, offer a prayer of gratitude to the Giver of all good things. And to the best of your ability, use your gifts for the betterment of yourself, your family, your friends, and your world. Then you'll truly live a blessed life.

"Thanksgiving or complaining--these words express two contrasting attitudes of the souls of God's children in regard to His dealings with them. The soul that gives thanks can find comfort in everything; the soul that complains can find comfort in nothing."
Hannah Whitall Smith

No comments:

It's here!!! Ron tells his story

Love it when my hubby shares!. Though a very condensed version, Ron eloquently shared with our youth group a few weeks ago. Below are his th...