Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Survey Says.....

GOD IS SO GOOD! First off, we sailed through rush hour traffic with minimal snags and it took us right at the same time it typically takes to get to Presby. Then, as we went through admissions, they did not ask for any payment! Yahoo!!!

Last night we asked our friends and family to join us in praying for definitive answers and it is so nice to finally know something! . Praise God we received an email with some preliminary results from Dr. A this evening which says:


"Good news from the upper GI. I have not seen the images yet because I was out of the office but the report is heartening for some explanation.
The small intestine and colon are unchanged. No narrowing or blockages. No changes in previously noted "hanging of the small intestine." There is SIGNIFICANT reflux to the level of the clavicles...YIKES! That's a lot. The end of the esophagus has changes consistent with esophagitis. The stomach and duodenum emptied normally without ulcers or dilation.
All good news and explains a great deal. That is a lot of reflux and does explain the fairly spontaneous vomiting - it's reflux and regurgitation. Routine measures to decrease reflux include the usual - multiple small meals, liquids with meals, low fat-low cholesterol, avoid spicy foods, caffeine and chocolate(I can't even imagine these last three). The Nexxium twice daily will decrease acid production and help heal esophagitis - this in turn will let the esophagus work better. The metoclopramide will help empty the stomach to allow less reflux.

I hope this is helpful. I feel better. I have to admit that this is a more normal problem to deal with in view of the last year. Reflux I can fix or at least improve. I plan to look at the images tomorrow and see if I see anything else and will let you know."

Ok, so...let's see if I can explain what he wrote in layman's terms:

Results show intestinal "tethering" which we already knew; no new kinks, narrowing or blockages.

Great deal of reflux backing up in esophagus, not just a little but up to level of his collarbone! His lower esophageal sphincter is not functioning properly (the flap that opens to allow food from esophagus to stomach and should then close and keep bile and food from backing up into esophagus). I'm guessing the esophagus musculature is weakend because of lack of use over the last year.

Esophagitis is basically irritation/inflammation of the esophagus.

Now, where do we go from here? Sounds like we already have the appropriate meds; and outline for new dietary changes including eating even smaller amounts more frequently and:
No acidic, greasy or spicy foods
No caffeine
No chocolate
foods that are low fat and low cholesterol

And we assume he has to continue with old rules as well:
no seeds or skins
no fiber
soft-cooked veggies & fruits
stick with "junk" type cereals
avoid cheese
no roughage

And the big question: what CAN he eat? I'm running out of ideas! But will get busy researching what will fit within these guidelines. And I hope Dr. A will give me some suggestions.

Ron's really been wanting a salad, in fact he told me to ask specifically about lettuce! But since Dr. A said no roughage, so far I've not given in! I've asked and we'll see what he says.

By the way....did I tell you our rehearsal dinner is at Joe T. Garcia's??? (our favorite Mexican restaurant) Poor guy; think we can have this stuff whipped in 3 weeks? haha

Thanks for praying! God has faithfully heard and responded!

Love, Christie

"Do not fear anything except the Lord Almighty. He alone is the Holy One. If you fear Him, you need fear nothing else. He will keep you safe" Isaiah 8:13

"I will write down all these things as a testimony of what the Lord will do. I will entrust it to my disciples, who will pass it down to future generations. I will wait for the Lord to help us." Isaiah 8:16-17a

"Difficulty is actually the atmosphere surrounding a miracle, or a miracle in its initial stage. Yet if it is to be a great miracle, the surrounding condition will be not simply a difficulty but an utter impossibility. And it is the clinging hand of His child that makes a desperate situation a delight to God." Streams in the Desert

No comments:

It's here!!! Ron tells his story

Love it when my hubby shares!. Though a very condensed version, Ron eloquently shared with our youth group a few weeks ago. Below are his th...