Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Enough for Today

I had decided this last week of summer vacation was going to be spent relaxing, resting, playing! That is until I noticed the condition of my rose bed; at which point I realized, I had much to do to prepare for life back in the real (working) world as of Monday. UGH!

With great annoyance, this morning I found myself digging trenches, weeding, and doing various other types of yard work. As I sweated (yes, I know most women tend to glisten, but I can assure you this girl SWEATED) and grumbled to the Lord "didn't I just weed this bed two weeks ago?" I swear (actually, I really don't) He laughed and said, "that's exactly how I feel!"

Now, I typically don't mind a little yardwork, in fact I've found that I quite enjoyed it when I would help Ron out, of course it was on my terms then. Whenever I got tired of "helping", I could retreat to the house to other (cooler) more enjoyable things, leaving my strong husband to do the "man's" work. And I still don't mind most things about yardwork (although I hate edging!), I'm perfectly capable and the exercise is good for me; but it's not quite as fun now that the responsibility is mine and I can't just decide I don't want to do it any more! But, I digress...

As He so often does, God began to remind me that my heart is like my rose bed. He tills and sows, waters, provides nutrients and protective ground cover in order to keep out weeds; yet, they always seem to creep back in. As I was working (and did I mention SWEATING!), my mind was multitasking; going in a hundred different directions. Just like those persistent, annoying weeds; uncertainty, doubt, anxiety, and worry began to creep in, causing me to fret...How am I going to keep on top of everything? How will we handle Ron's TPN regimen? Where will I fit in time to spend in the Word? Do we really have to go back to just "surviving" each week instead of joyful anticipation of each new day?

Once again, God spoke. He reminded me of my devotional from a couple of days ago out of, you guessed it, Streams in the Desert 2. L.B. Cowman said
"God does not grant the necessary grace before the trial. He builds the bridge when we reach the river."

She also referenced one of our very favorite promises in Matthew 6; I especially like the way The Message says it:

"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes."

and the New Living Translation says:

"So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today."

And with that reminder comes the even greater promise that as we wait and trust in the Lord, He will provide enough for today...whether that be peace, comfort, patience, strength, perseverance..whatever we need. And when tomorrow is today, He will again provide!

No comments:

It's here!!! Ron tells his story

Love it when my hubby shares!. Though a very condensed version, Ron eloquently shared with our youth group a few weeks ago. Below are his th...