Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Details from Presby IR

Sorry I didn't post an update yesterday...it was a long, exhausting day.
I was up by 6 to begin watering yard (what I would give for a sprinkler system!!) and get a walk in before having to get myself and Ron ready before home health nurse arrived to do PICC line change and blood draw before we left for Presbyterian at 10:45. Whew! I was tired before we even left!

Shires and Dittman both came out at different times to tell us they had an emergency "bleeder" so to settle in, it would be a while.

I'm so thankful I thought to bring the laptop. I was able to get quite a bit of work done (for all you school employees, I'm already working on the first TEKS Checks--benchmarks--to be given in September, UGH!!). They finally took him to CT at 1:45 then straight to IR. He was finished around 4:30...just in time to hit the wonderful traffic heading home.

Results from CT and IR (Notes from Dittman with Shires comments in blue)

Drained off about 50 cc of fluid--some looks like fairly new blood; still about double that amount there but it looks like mostly a large clot; will take a while to resolve. If it does not resolve may have to go in and inject with something. Continue to keep binder on, tight.

Left side swelling equivalent to hernia—what does that mean? Nothing remarkable, just keep an eye on for now

PICC line looks ok right now; (home health nurse was not able to draw blood from it yesterday) try force flushing…if still have problems may need to change

G-tube site is red on surface but there is no evidence of abscess on scan; replaced dressing and wafer, left open; clean daily with mild soap--NO ALCOHOL; that would sting terribly--and apply antibiotic ointment

Stomach looks full; not emptying completely as yet—can’t tell by one snapshot picture whether or not it’s draining; good news, stomach is bigger! (had been about the size of a walnut!)

Swelling in legs, something we'll have to live with for now: wear TEDS (compression socks) all the time

See back at scheduled appointment on August 11—hoping to remove g-tube at that time but will be dependent on how he’s handling feedings, etc

Questions for Shires:

Diet questions: Increase volume and stay with what he’s been doing or progress? Stay with what he’s doing (mostly clear liquid diet with small amounts of cream items thrown in) …if he can go 2 or 3 days with full meals (able to eat equivalent of entire tray in hospital) w/o having to open g-tube, can progress to next step (which will be full liquid diet throwing in a few more substantial items, like cream of wheat)

So, there you have it! He was very tired and napped off and on as we waited yesterday. And of course he had his lollipop for the ride home and a nap in his recliner after arriving. (Plus part of an orange sherbet freeze for being such a good patient!)

Ron's feeling pretty good today; getting the pressure off his right flank has definitely helped.

Love,
Christie

The following song has been so encouraging to me; hope it ministers to you as well!

"Bring the Rain" by Mercy Me

I can count a million times
People asking me how I
Can praise You
With all that I've gone through
The question just amazes me
Can circumstances possibly
Change who I forever am in You

Maybe since my life was changed
Long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on you, oh Lord
My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times

So I pray

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain

I am Yours regardless of
The clouds that may loom above
Because You are much greater than my pain
You who made a way for me
Suffering Your destiny
So tell me whats a little rain

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain

Holy, holy, holy
Holy, holy, holy
is the Lord God Almighty
is the lord God almighty
I'm forever singing
Holy, holy, holy
Holy, holy, holy
is the Lord God Almighty
is the Lord God Almighty
Everybody singing
Holy holy holy
You are holy
You are holy

No comments:

It's here!!! Ron tells his story

Love it when my hubby shares!. Though a very condensed version, Ron eloquently shared with our youth group a few weeks ago. Below are his th...