Thursday, July 23, 2009

Lazy Days of Summer

Sorry, this is jumbled ramblings with thoughts all over the place, but I've been trying to get an update out and just decided to spill everything quickly!

First, please be in prayer for Ron. He's been having major back and neck pain for the last 3 days. He thinks he slept wrong Monday night and he's been dealing with muscle spasms ever since. I think he should go to the doctor and get a muscle relaxant but he thinks he can tough it out with just pain meds...such a man!

I'm thoroughly enjoying this summer with my hubby. We're on a very tight budget so pretty much just hang at home, but we have taken advantage of our Star-Telegram Press Pass occasionally which has many buy one get one free deals. Today, we went to the Omni Imax Theater to see Dolphins...anything ocean-related, Ron loves.

Typically, summer has been Ron's busiest time of the year for work; which made it difficult for me since I was off but not able to spend time with him. Since he's unable to work now, I'm blessed with time with him and am relishing this low key, medically uneventful summer. We've had pockets of busy-ness but on the whole it has been pretty restful. Very much appreciated and needed!

We had a great time hanging out with 35 members of the Nordell family as we celebrated Whitney and Jorden's wedding (July 11) with all kinds of fun events. Ron was thrilled to be able to ride along on the front nine of the guys golf outing and then meet up with them later for lunch, while I enjoyed girls' day complete with manicure/pedicure and bridal tea. We all stayed in a hotel in Mesquite for the entire wedding weekend which was a life-saver for us. It would have been very hard on Ron to be trekking back and forth all weekend and also made it much more fun to have all that extra time to spend with family. By Sunday afternoon, he was ready to be in his recliner veggin' in front of the TV.

Travel has become so much easier now that we've got the routine down...our big trip to San Diego went so smoothly, I feel empowered to take on anything and it really makes me wish we'd gone for broke and tried for Hawaii!!!! I've got me a bad case of the travel bug; I'm ready to pack up and go...Anywhere! Now, if only money weren't the issue!!! It's always something, right?!

Last weekend we were incredibly blessed by friends from church who came over and did a great job repairing our fence and trimming trees! Many thanks to Becky, Rusty, Kyle, Debbie, Cary and all the kids who pitched in...not only did you bless us by working, but it was a treat just to hang out with you! Thanks for giving up your Sunday afternoon for us.

We are thankful for each of you!!!
Much love,
Christie

“…those who have reason to be thankful should continually sing praises to the Lord.” James 5:13b NLT

This verse causes me to reflect on my devotional reading this morning (Streams in the Desert 2)

"Then they sang a hymn and went out to the Mount of Olives" Matthew 26:30 NLT

The only record of Jesus singing is this account. Yes, the Bible said He sang...despite knowing what was to come--His darkest night of life here on earth. But the joy of doing His Father's will was cause for joy in His heart...there was gladness in His heart buried beneath all His griefs and sorrows.

We, too, must learn to sing as we enter our "Gethsemane". Often, we sing as we work; we sing as we rejoice; but can we sing as we suffer? It's difficult to sing when you can't see beyond your trial; but the secret is to look beyond the immediate circumstance and see the glory to come.

“But as for me, I will sing about your power. I will shout with joy each morning because of Your unfailing love. For You have been my refuge, a place of safety in the day of distress. O my Strength, to You I sing praises, for You, O God, are my refuge, the God who shows me unfailing love.” Psalm 59:16-17 NLT

“My heart is confident in You, O God; no wonder I can sing Your praises!” Psalm 108:1 NLT

2 comments:

Fliterary said...

Thanks for the update, Christie. I'm praying for Ron and you. So glad the wedding and time in Mesquite went well.

Praising God and continuing to pray!

auntkasey said...

You guys have a free room in Baltimore anytime!!!

It's here!!! Ron tells his story

Love it when my hubby shares!. Though a very condensed version, Ron eloquently shared with our youth group a few weeks ago. Below are his th...