Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tilled and Sown

"For, behold, I am for you and I will turn to you, and you shall be tilled and sown."
Ezekiel 36:9

God doesn't use the plow without intention. Where He plows, He intends to sow. His plowing is proof He is for and not against us. Proof that He thinks we are of value, and worth cultivating. He doesn't waste His plowing on barren soil. He won't plow continually, but only for a time and for a definite purpose....We cannot have the results of the harvest without the process. excerpts from Streams in the Desert 2

I confess I'm a city girl, but, from what I understand, tilling (plowing) requires the soil be disturbed--turned over, cut into, torn up; and should only be done when it will accomplish a useful purpose such as controlling weeds, mixing in nutrients, loosening and aerating...all in preparation of sowing.

In the same way, God tills the soil of our hearts and lives. Often, it's a painful process. I don't know about you, but I don't particularly like being torn up, cut into or turned over. However, I can rest in knowing if God chooses to till, it's for a greater purpose and will only last for a season. Once my "soil" is prepared, He can then weed, aerate (which allows roots to penetrate deeper), and sow. When I allow Him to tend the soil of my heart His seeds begin to germinate; and as I stay rooted in Him I begin to bear His fruit...love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. And this...this is my life's purpose!

As difficult as it may be; I'm thankful He finds me worthy of cultivation. To Him be all glory!

Christie

1 comment:

Fliterary said...

Thank you for the blog, Christie. What you both are learning is tilling your souls but also tilling those of us who watch and pray on the outside. The harvest is always bigger than we can imagine. Thank you for allowing us to journey with you.

Max Lucado has a great devotional this week. http://www.maxlucado.com/email/2009/07.31.html

Praying for you both!

Lisa

It's here!!! Ron tells his story

Love it when my hubby shares!. Though a very condensed version, Ron eloquently shared with our youth group a few weeks ago. Below are his th...