Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Praise You in the storm

It's been so long since we've had a bad day, that it's a shock when one comes along. And today was a bad one for Ron. They began tube feeding yesterday afternoon, 2 tablespoons an hour directly into the intestines. Unfortunately, it did not go well. He had a very bad night, didn't hardly sleep. His stomach tight and bloated, the Wound Vac on his belly makes it worse and he had terrible reflux so couldn't lay the bed back (has had to remain in a semi-reclined or straight up position or he gets gagged and begins retching. Yuck!). Then, this afternoon he started running a fever and his white blood cell count is up more than it has been since he arrived at Presby! Not good! So tube feeding was stopped this afternoon.

Poor guy, he feels awful. As well as discouraged and disappointed. We were all really hoping things would go well this time with the tube feeding and no one anticipated he would start to feeling this bad. We knew he might have some discomfort but didn't expect this downturn. He dozed off and on all day; but not really restful sleep; and did not get out of bed except once to brush his teeth and that was a struggle.

On top of that, tonight the kids had come up to celebrate Aaron's birthday with us, so he was especially bummed about feeling so rotten. We were able to coax him into a shooting competition (rubber bands & pirates, again.) But he just wasn't his perky self; very quiet and reserved.

Please pray that this will pass quickly, and he'll get back on the road to recovery. And especially that the stomach bloating and cramping will go away so that he can get some much needed comfortable sleep. And specifically that this will not become a source of infection...we know there is leakage but it should be contained by the drainage tube (JPeg) that is in the area of the colon leak. This drain was definitely putting out alot more today, evidence that his system is not absorbing what little bit is going in so there is no since in continuing the feeding at this point anyways.

Below are the words to a song by Casting Crowns that has become our anthem for this time in our lives. It is especially meaningful on the difficult days.

Thanks for praying!
Love, Christie


Praise You in This Storm
words by Mark Hall/music by Mark Hall and Bernie Herms

I was sure by now, God, You would have reached down
and wiped our tears away,
stepped in and saved the day.
But once again,
I say amen
and it's still raining
as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain,
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
and takes away.
Chorus:
And I'll praise you in this storm
and I will lift my hands
for You are who You are
no matter where I am
and every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand
You never left my side
and though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry to You
and raised me up again
my strength is almost gone
how can I carry on
if I can't find You
and as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
and takes away

Chorus

I lift my eyes onto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the maker of heaven and earth
I lift my eyes onto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the maker of heaven and earth

No comments:

It's here!!! Ron tells his story

Love it when my hubby shares!. Though a very condensed version, Ron eloquently shared with our youth group a few weeks ago. Below are his th...