Thursday, May 1, 2008

Rough time

Our poor guy just can't seem to catch a break! Dr. Weinstein (pulmonologist/Critical Care coordinator) had them do a doppler on his legs to check for blood clots, once you have a blood clot, you are prone to more. The one in his left calf (diagnosed in October) has resolved but he still has one in his right thigh (diagnosed in November) and now has one in his left thigh and a partial obstruction in his right calf. Good thing he has the filter (inserted into inferior vena cava last November) that will keep clot from going into lungs.

He's had more pain in his wound site today, most likely due to small leakage of bile from intestines. This leak wicks down into the wound area and out through wound vac. For now he is off all liquids (back to only ice chips) so everything will dry out and allow leak to heal on it's own.

His Albumin level continues to be low which is one reason his legs are so huge...Albumin is what helps your body keep fluid in vascular system instead of leaching into your tissue. They are treating him with occasional doses of diuretics but have to be careful not to "dry out" his kidney. It also has to do with why his blood pressure is trending low.

Dr. Shires is not overly concerned about any of these issues, just more speed bumps along the way to recovery. He did say Ron will be in CCU/ICU (Critical Care Unit/Intensive Care Unit...interchangeable term!) until they can get his fluid levels and blood pressure more under control. And he's not going to tell Ron when he's moving him up to 6 West until it actually happens! Every time he mentions it, Ron has something else crop up!

With all that's going on he continues to stay positive and enthusiastic about getting up and moving around with PT & OT daily which will help mobilize the fluid. He also tries to get in a chair at least one other time a day and take another walk. Goal is to be out of bed three times a day.

As I was bathing Ron this afternoon, I told him his attitude about this entire ordeal reminds me of Paul's when he wrote to the Philippians (the first and last part of these verses makes
me think of you, our faithful prayer warriors!)

"How grateful I am and how I praise the Lord, that you are concerned about me again. I know you have always been concerned for me, but for a while you didn't have the chance to help me. Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to get along happily whether I have much or little. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything with the help of Christ who gives me the strength I need. But even so, you have done well to share with me in my present difficulty." Philippians 4:10-14 New Living Translation

No comments:

It's here!!! Ron tells his story

Love it when my hubby shares!. Though a very condensed version, Ron eloquently shared with our youth group a few weeks ago. Below are his th...