Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Potter's Hands

This morning as I was reading, this chapter in Jeremiah really hit home with me.

"This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says to you,...You have said, 'I am overwhelmed with trouble! Haven't I had enough pain already? And now the Lord has added more! I am weary of my own sighing and can find no rest,' ...this is what the Lord says: ... Are you seeking great things for yourself? Don't do it! But don't be discouraged...I will protect you wherever you go. I, the Lord, have spoken!" Jeremiah 45: 2-5 NLT

We often pray to be delivered from afflictions, and even trust God that we will be. But we do not pray for Him to make us what we should be while in the midst of the afflictions. Nor do we pray that we would be able to live within them, for however long they may last, in the complete awareness that we are held and sheltered by the Lord and can therefore continue within them.... from Streams in the Desert (emphasis mine)

Reference note in NIV tells us (again, emphasis mine):

We are to take our eyes off ourself and whatever reward we think we deserve. If we do this, God will protect us. It's easy to lose the joy of serving our God when we take our eyes off Him. The more we look away from God's purposes toward our own sacrifices, the more frustrated we will become. As we serve God, we must beware of focusing on what we are giving up. When this happens, we are to ask God's forgiveness, then redirect our attention to the incomparable privilege of serving God.

These readings reminded me how several weeks ago in church Ron and I both were quite overcome as we sang the following song. This is our prayer; no matter how difficult the process!

"The Potter's Hands"

Beautiful Lord, Wonderful Saviour
I know for sure, all of my days are held in Your hands
Crafted into Your perfect plan

You gently call me, into Your presence
Guiding me by, Your Holy Spirit
Teach me dear Lord
To live all of my life through Your eyes

I'm captured by, Your Holy calling
Set me apart
I know You're drawing me to Yourself
Lead me Lord I pray

Take me, Mold me
Use me, Fill me
I give my life to the Potter's hands
Hold me, Guide me
Lead me, Walk beside me
I give my life to the Potter's hand


Father, help me keep my eyes on YOU for it's a privilege to be called worthy to serve YOU! May I be willing to allow You to mold me and make me into that which brings You honor and glory; always mindful that I am held in the palm of Your hand!

No comments:

It's here!!! Ron tells his story

Love it when my hubby shares!. Though a very condensed version, Ron eloquently shared with our youth group a few weeks ago. Below are his th...