Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving & stuff or Thanksgiving stuffed?

It's been a nice, quiet week around the Nordell household. I've enjoyed being off of work Wednesday through Sunday and I know Ron has been happy to have me around, as well. His days are usually pretty long, lonely and boring.

Wednesday we had a games night with Ron's Mom & Dad along with Laurie & Tony and their kids. Aaron & Kristin joined us for a while before heading to Abilene to spend Thanksgiving with Kristin's family.

Thanksgiving Day was spent with my sister Debbie and her family, my Dad & Mary Francis, and Ryan & Stacee. Lots of good food, hanging out watching football; and reflecting on how God has blessed us so incredibly throughout this last year. The two day's events really took a toll on Ron and he slept until 1PM Friday. After 11, I started periodically checking to make sure he was still breathing! It was good to have the quiet time to be able to work on the bazillion thank-you notes I'm behind on. I am determined to get them finished by Christmas...but if I leave anyone out, please, please forgive me and know that you are very much appreciated...my list got misplaced and I'm trying to go off of scraps of paper from here, there and everywhere; along with my memory...now that's a scary thought!

Saturday, we were up and out the door early (well, early for Ron) as we headed to Granbury for another day of family fun with my side of the family (minus Tami & her crew who live in Georgia) with the added bonus of our favorite Aunt Jackie, technically my first cousin, once removed; did I get that right, Jackie? She's the geneology buff in the family.

We met at Dad's for a light lunch, then headed to the square where we were treated to Granbury Live's Lone Star Christmas. What a talented group of performers! After a little shopping on the square, we all went to Babe's (restaurant famous for it's southern home-cooked dinner served family-style). Yummy! Ron decided to risk it and go for it all. It was delicious going down....but not so much fun coming back up later. Poor guy! He was miserable with bad stomach cramps by the time we got home. Overall, it had been a good day. It was exhausting on him physically and he slept until 12:45 Sunday, but he thoroughly enjoyed being out with the family.

Tomorrow, we have to get back into routine with better eating and sleeping habits as well as back on schedule with physical therapy twice a day.

Please continue to pray for his body to gain strength, energy and stamina; along with some weight. Even though he is eating more, he continues to lose weight. Not a good thing.

Hope your Thanksgiving was a good one!

PS: Thanksgiving last year it snowed! I remember leaving Harris HEB and running to Deb's to grab a quick bite to eat during shift change and it snowed on me! I was so excited to share it with Ron but the tiny window in his ICU room did not allow him to see it.

1 comment:

auntkasey said...

I'm so glad you guys got to have such a fun (and packed) Thanksgiving! I can't imagine how good it must feel to be able to get up and go this year after so much time in the hospital. When we come home for Christmas we'll have to plan a quick hello!

It's here!!! Ron tells his story

Love it when my hubby shares!. Though a very condensed version, Ron eloquently shared with our youth group a few weeks ago. Below are his th...