Saturday, January 10, 2009

Here's the poop....err, I mean scoop!

It's been a rough week....poor girls I work with have had to deal with a very weepy co-worker! I strive to be upbeat and try to keep things fun and light-hearted at home, but they get to see my raw emotions that I try to keep in check in front of Ron.

Not only was my heart hurting for Ron's latest little episode; but we had met with another family last weekend whose husband/father was in Ron's old ICU room at Harris HEB. We had heard about him from several nurses, as well as my Mom who volunteers in the ICU waiting area. F also had pancreatitis that had manifested in many different ways. Being there, meeting with them, threw me back into the early traumatic days of Ron's illness. I truly believe this is something God has called us to---ministering to other families who are dealing with traumatic illnesses---but it's always so hard; it has a way of stirring up all those memories. We want to offer hope; to testify to God's miraculous healing but at the same time we want to be sensitive and don't want to offer false hope...obviously, we don't know God's plan or what the outcome will be for someone else. This family is a family of firm faith; in the midst of their struggles, they are choosing to trust God's sovereignty.

Wednesday evening, we read F had gone home to be with his heavenly Father. I had been keeping up with the family through their website and no one had expected this. I was overcome with grief for this family; and it hit me really, really hard! I thought how easily that could have been us! And it was an especially fresh reminder since when we last saw Dr. Shires in December he confided that there had been times he wasn't sure Ron would pull through; which rocked my world since I had NEVER heard him express anything like this during all our time at Presby. But of course, he wouldn't...he knew we needed confidence and hope.

Back to Ron, things continued to go downhill throughout the week and by Thursday afternoon, we found we were fighting to avoid another hospitalization.

Before I continue, I must say; I do ask Ron if he is ok with all that I share. We believe in total transparency and when you've dealt with hospitalizations and medical issues as long as we have, there remains no sense of modesty; so some of the things I share may be a little more information than you'd like, but.... these are the things we are dealing with!

The typical person who has gone through bowel resection, along with losing a significant amount of bowel, tends to battle chronic diarrhea; but not my alien husband! His continued reflux/regurgitation, heartburn, bloating and nausea often stems from things failing to "flow" naturally. Ron is on a daily regimen of Miralax in order to help with this process and beginning Tuesday he was being given 2 and then 3 doses throughout the day to encourage natural flow...with no success. By Thursday, it was evident we were on the verge of another obstruction (seeing as how when he would eat, it would immediately come back up....half-way through the meal!--now that will certainly curb an appetite!) At this time he was put back on a liquid diet. If we could not get this taken care of soon; he would need total bowel rest which would involve IV fluids and possibly TPN. Throughout the day, Friday, he was given a total of 4 doses of Milk of Magnesia; with no success. Next step, (ugh!) was an enema! Finally, the end was in sight (haha! I hear the groans from the peanut gallery, but I just couldn't help the pun!) Success!

He slept well last night (first night in about 10 days that he slept well--and of course if he's not sleeping, I'm not!). The reflux/regurgitation, heartburn, nausea, etc. are pretty much gone, but he will continue on an aggressive cleansing regimen for a few days. Obviously, we'll be sticking close to home for a while. And tomorrow, he will also start on an antibiotic that does not go into the bloodstream but specifically stays within the GI tract. Docs are thinking he may have a colonization of bacteria in the small loop of bowel (created by his bowel resection) that is causing some of his problems.

All of this has left him pretty "wiped- out" (sorry, there I go again....laughter is the best medicine tho, right?) Please pray for regained appetite (down another 5 lbs), as well as renewed strength; this week has taken quite a toll on him. He usually tends to take it all in stride; but it's been rather hard on him since he's been feeling so puny.

Also, please pray for my dad...he was finally cleared of all infection and was able to have his hip replacement surgery Wednesday. Things went well, other than a significant amount of blood loss, and he should go home tomorrow. And for F's family (funeral today).

Rest in knowing; today has been a much better day all around. We've really taken it easy; just relaxing here at home. I've taken the opportunity to get caught up on laundry and other household stuff, as well as be a little lazy; don't want to make any noises to disturb Ron's much-needed rest!! And, it's amazing what a good night's sleep will do for you emotionally!

Much love,
Christie

"Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens."
I Thessalonians 5:16-18 The Message

3 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY!! We've got flow...

Leisa said...

Christie, You and your family are still amazing me with your wonderful sense of humor at such a tough time. I am still praying for you all and will continue to do so!
Leisa B.

Unknown said...

From one Ron Nordell to another, I am thinking of everybody in my thoughts and prayers. I ran into this site a while ago and I continue to come back to check on his progress. May God bless you and your family.

It's here!!! Ron tells his story

Love it when my hubby shares!. Though a very condensed version, Ron eloquently shared with our youth group a few weeks ago. Below are his th...