Thursday, May 21, 2009

Almost Summer Break!

Well, up until this month we've been living a pretty simplistic life and it's been great!

But now the school year is winding down and things are a bit crazy! There have been a multitude of activities including: preparing semester exams and getting the office ready to close up for the summer along with making preparations for the beginning of next school year and gathering materials to be worked on over the summer, Mother's Day fun, wedding showers, graduation parties & teas, making plans for a big weekend full of festivities to celebrate Grandma Nordell's 90th birthday (which is tomorrow, May 22) and then let's throw in a double hospital stay for good measure. You know how Ron likes to keep me on my toes! No not a new one; we've just now finally recuperated from the last double whammy at both HEB and Presby. It's taken Ron a good couple of weeks to bounce back, but I think he's finally pretty much back to his pre-hospital stay status. Though I feel I'm meeting myself coming and going!

Add on top of all of this, I decided since our 30th anniversary is this year I wanted to surprise Ron with a celebration trip. Of course, I couldn't totally surprise him since alot of extra preparations have to go into traveling with all his medical supplies but I did want to see if it was even feasible before I let him in on the planning.

First, Dr. A had to be consulted to make sure this was even a reasonable option at this point...his stipulations are we cannot travel outside of the country; and whatever location we choose must be near a major medical facility. He's very supportive of the idea and thinks I can handle the added nursing responsibilities just fine. He also believes it will do Ron alot of good to see we can pull this off alone. Yes, it will just be the two of us and I have to admit after this last little hospital episode I was thinking " am I CRAZY for trying to plan a trip alone with him? What am I thinking?" Dr. A reassured me that we should continue with our plans. I asked if he'd like to take a vacation to the same location just in case....

The other area I needed to investigate before letting Ron in on it was the financial aspect. We have been saving our American Airlines miles for an anniversary trip to Hawaii for ever; but I don't think we'll go there...lack of enough miles being one and the distance kind of makes me nervous, although Dr. A votes we go for it...he believes in realizing your dreams. Me too, but unless he's planning a trip to Hawaii; I'm not sure I'm that brave. And it would be difficult for Ron to be in Hawaii and not be able to golf; we do have to have our priorities straight, now don't we?

Both my Mom and a dear friend have offered some of their miles which will help tremendously. I'm still in the preparation stage but think we'll be able to pull it off. Tentatively, we are planning on San Diego in June. Because of Ron's TPN I've had to look for a place big enough to handle all his medical supplies (which will be shipped there in advance) as well as have a refrigerator to store them in. Also have to take into consideration his limitations physically so wanted to find something that was more than just a hotel but would have a slow-paced activities available for those times when we just needed to hang out there. I've also heard there are many activities to choose from that will be limited energy-friendly. We'll also borrow a wheelchair from Ron's parents so he'll be able to be out and about for longer periods of time. The resort we're looking at is on Mission Bay and all of the rooms are actually cabanas spread throughout a garden and beach area. I believe with the miles we can cover all of our flight and accommodations and I'm still working on the rental car...it's a little complicated with the miles but it looks like it just may all work out! We will actually go to Anaheim for a couple of the days we are in California and meet up with our niece, Julie, and her boys Jonah and Hudson, who live in Greece. They will be vacationing with her Mom and Dad. They have graciously agreed to share their time so we can see them as well.

And even more excitement--Friday morning Ron will be out on the golf course. Our church is holding a tournament and Ron's golf cronies asked if he'd be up to riding along on the back nine. We are all super-excited. He'll go out mid-morning and hopefully last through the end of the round as well as visit with everyone while they eat lunch.

One week to go and then I'm out for the summer...WOOOOO HOOOOO!

Love, Christie

Pics are from our 29th anniversary celebration in Presby paradise; enjoy!





1 comment:

Fliterary said...

Your plans sound so exciting! I'll be praying that everything falls into place and Ron is healthy and ready to roll.

Praying for healing, abundant blessings, and super-sized peace and joy!

It's here!!! Ron tells his story

Love it when my hubby shares!. Though a very condensed version, Ron eloquently shared with our youth group a few weeks ago. Below are his th...