Tuesday, May 5, 2009

...just a setting on the dryer

Such a long day it's been! Ron arrived by ambulance transport to Presbyterian around 1PM. I got here about 5 minutes later even though I left before the ambulance! It was very comforting to settle in to his room on 6West.

He was seen by Dr. Arslanlar as well as Janelle (physician assistant) shortly after arrival. And so the testing begins, or I guess continues.

Heart doesn't seem to be the problem. EKG, chest xray, echo and enzyme levels all look ok.

A couple of things are standing out:

When they did the CT last night of his chest they found he has a foreign body in his right pulmonary artery. No one has a clue as to what it is or how it got there. Tomorrow, Dr. A and Interventional Radiologists will go over CT images from HEB and compare with last one he had here (December 2008). Dr. A looked at report from CT in December which shows no indication of anything in the pulmonary artery at that time.

What does this mean? Don't know yet. So far, it does not seem to be impeding blood flow. They will have to study more closely to determine if it is lodged into the arterial wall; if it is it would do more harm than good to try to remove.

Interesting finding, but this has nothing to do with his chest pain! Yep, he continues to have pain, although higher dose of morphine is finally getting it a little more manageable.

Other findings come from his bloodwork. His liver function is suddenly climbing. He had his regularly scheduled home health visit Monday and bloodwork was normal; then his first set of labs in the ER last night at 8PM were normal; but each of the three he has had today show it is climbing. What causes liver function to climb so quickly? Medications, infection, gall stones. Gall stones? Yes, gall stones! But how can you have gall stones if you don't have a gall bladder? Dr. A said less than 10% of people (sound like anyone we know?) develop gall stones in the bile duct that is left after the gall bladder has been removed. They checked duct by sonogram today with no sign of gall stones but the duct is enlarged. Hmmm.

Pancreatic enzymes were also considerably elevated on this mornings bloodwork (after both yesterday being normal); meaning he may be dealing with another case of pancreatitis...which scares the pooey out of us! We are trying to keep in mind most cases of pancreatitis do not reach the level his did previously. We were glad to hear tonight's labs showed lipase (one of the pancreatic enzymes) was down but liver numbers continue to climb. (Liver numbers can also mean pancreatitis).

Thanks for praying...I know I've said it before but we would not be able to handle this without your faithful prayers lifting us to the Father; and His grace in answering and holding us close.

Much love,
Christie

Ponderings:

As I was quickly gathering stuff for yet another emergency hospital stay, I surveyed the mess of medical supplies, clothing, remnants of wedding stuff (yes, I know, it’s been almost 6 months since the wedding but give a girl a break, life is busy!), and all other kinds of paraphernalia cluttering up our bedroom. I began asking “Lord, when will our lives be back to normal?” He gently replied, “Who’s to say this isn’t normal?”

John 16:33 says, ”Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world!”

You see, in my mind “normal” is a routine, orderly, carefree life where a husband and wife work together to establish and take care of their family and home; are active in church, go out to eat and movies, travel, spend time with friends….you get the picture. However, I was reminded God doesn’t call us to live a normal, or better yet, conforming life. In fact Romans 12:2 says ”Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—His good, pleasing and perfect will.”

Too often conformity becomes synonymous with lukewarm. In a sermon from Revelation 3:15-16 where God tells the church at Laodicea He wishes they were either hot or cold; a pastor friend of ours related it this way: A hot beverage is soothing, comforting; while a cold beverage is quenching, refreshing. But a lukewarm beverage is none of these; in fact it is so unappealing, God says He would spit it out of His mouth!

Wait a minute! If routine leads to conformity which leads to lukewarm….I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to be known as something only fit to be spat out!

Father, if it were up to me, I’d stay safe, secure and “comfortable” in my “normal” life, but Your plans and thoughts are way beyond mine. Thank you for taking me out of my comfort zone and “transforming” me! I confess I’m often kicking and screaming the whole way, but when I take my eyes off myself, I see Your plan is perfect and Your path is right. Even if it comes at the expense of my desire for “normalcy”, Father, I submit myself to You; have your will and way. And may I live in a way that soothes, comforts, quenches and brings refreshment to others; all the while giving glory to You.

As we say around here “normal is just a setting on the dryer!”

1 comment:

auntkasey said...

If there is ANYthing I can do, please don't hesitate to ask. Love you guys!

It's here!!! Ron tells his story

Love it when my hubby shares!. Though a very condensed version, Ron eloquently shared with our youth group a few weeks ago. Below are his th...