Saturday, May 9, 2009

Dandelions

Random thought God has been speaking to me

Dandelions~~A rite of springtime! Those fun little sprouts that pop up bearing bright yellow flowers along with their fuzzy, cotton-like balls that everyone loves! In childlike fashion, we pick the fuzzy ball; blow the feathery wisps, watching them float through the air while making a wish. But as days pass, those wisps we so happily spread become weed seeds taking root. It begins with just one or two, but if left untended can take over a yard in the blink of an eye.

Sin is similar to these dandelions…fun for a season yet reaps severe consequences in the end. Once sin takes root, it’s hard to get rid of; even when we think we’ve gotten it under control—sprouts continue to pop up; a never-ending battle!

As dandelions take root, they not only take over our own yard, but soon spread to our neighbor’s yard and others nearby. Before we know it, the whole block is a sea of dandelions! The roots begin to kill off the grass we so faithfully planted and nourished; and only those who are on their guard, diligently watching; carefully tending; willing to mar the surface in order to uproot that which is harmful, will withstand the invasion.

In the same way, sin doesn’t affect just the sinner but spreads and impacts those around us. Oh, it seems harmless enough at first but as sin begins to take root; it not only leads to more sin but causes our hearts to harden. Those good crops of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control are choked out and replaced with discontent, selfishness, lust, immorality, dishonesty and a myriad of other destructive attitudes.

None of us is immune; we’re all born with this sin nature. And just as hard as it is to get rid of dandelions, we are never totally free of sin. The seeds of sin are tenacious, tending to make their way into hidden crevices. We must continually be on guard, watching for even one seed to take root and sprout, then deal with it immediately; never entertaining the thought that just this one won’t hurt.

Oh, Father, how easily we lose sight of You and become enticed by the world. I know I can’t win this battle on my own but only when I stay firmly rooted in You, allowing You to nourish, water and, yes, even prune. May I diligently allow You to search my heart, point out those things that are displeasing to You, and then be willing to turn from them before they take over my life.

“Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.” Proverbs 4:23

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139:23

1 comment:

auntkasey said...

Aaron came over a few weeks ago one night and while we were hanging out we realized we have been friends for HALF of our lives. While this in itself is great, I think I have benefited more from our relationship, because I have been learning from you for half of my life. Your continuous grace in unimaginable circumstances is always amazing to me.

It's here!!! Ron tells his story

Love it when my hubby shares!. Though a very condensed version, Ron eloquently shared with our youth group a few weeks ago. Below are his th...