Wednesday, May 6, 2009

CT scans, MRCP's and IR, oh my!

It's been a busy day with Interventional Radiology, another CT scan and then this evening an MRCP (some kind of specialized MRI).

Dr. Coker changed out Ron's PICC line in IR and tried to get a look at object in pulmonary artery with no success, so he sent him down to CT. CT revealed NO SIGNS of foreign object. Dr. Coker's theory is a fibrin sheath from PICC line had dislodged and made it's way into pulmonary artery when they did a forceful push of contrast through PICC Monday night. My best understanding is fibrin is a part of the coagulation (clotting) process. It is very common for fibrin to form over the end of PICC line when you have one in long term. He has had fibrin develop with other PICC lines which typically causes PICC not to draw blood even though you can still flush and administer TPN...pushing things through works but not pulling out. Assumption is since this is not a foreign body but something his own body developed it should dissolve on it's own and not cause any further problems. Confusing to me, but whatever! The important thing is, whatever was there, is now gone!

MRCP was done too late to get results tonight. If there shows to be no gall stone, we should go home Thursday. If it shows he does indeed have gall stone; he won't go home until docs figure out what the next step is.

Ron has been chest pain free all day! That along with the decreased enzyme levels show a good probability that he has or had a gall stone (that may have passed on its own) and not another case of pancreatitis! Crazy isn't it....leave it to my hubby to hit those long odds! Again, we'll know more tomorrow.

And as Mistie reminded us today in her encouraging e-mail:
"HE still moves stones.... we're trusting HIM with you for the 'moving' of these"
Thanks, Mistie!

Time to say goodnight and head up to my room to get some much needed sleep...Dr. A is typically in Rockwall Thursdays but will be coming by to check on Ron before heading over there so I need to be back down here by 7AM, UGH!!! Although I know I can't complain...I'm so thankful I'm not having to drive back and forth from home, and that I don't have to sleep on a cot in Ron's room tonight but I have a nice quiet room where I can get uninterrupted sleep (which is more than I can say for poor Ron!) And guess what? It 's my old familiar room again! GOD IS GOOD; not only does He provide for my needs, but goes above and beyond to bring added comfort and less stress!

Love, Christie

1 comment:

Fliterary said...

I'm praising on the good news and praying for Ron's healing.

Lifting you both to God's throne.

Love and gentle hugs,

Lisa

It's here!!! Ron tells his story

Love it when my hubby shares!. Though a very condensed version, Ron eloquently shared with our youth group a few weeks ago. Below are his th...