Tuesday, March 11, 2008

One more day....

Can you believe it's been 3 months today since we moved to Presbyterian from Harris HEB? And that it's been over 5 months since this roller coaster ride began? GOD IS SOOOO GOOD! Only He could turn such a grim prognosis into something so amazing! May we be ever faithful to give Him all glory!

After having a really puny-feeling day yesterday, thoughts of going home Friday were a little shaky. But today has been much better and, so far, plans are in motion to go home tomorrow. Hospital bed and walker were delivered to the house tonight We're very excited, they were able to set up the hospital bed in our bedroom, we were thinking it might have to be set up in the living room! We've started gathering other necessary medical supplies, but will wait 'til tomorrow to pack. There are still no promises, it's dependent on lab results and other sundry details.

They started trials on his new pain management narcotic "lollipops", which seem to work well. I practiced flushing all his various drains at both noon and six today under nurse supervision; and then again at 10 all by myself! I also spent a good deal of the evening on the phone trying to find a pharmacy that is able to fill our prescription for saline-filled syringes (for flushing, we'll use 10-15 of these a day!!!) until we can get our supply from Medco...so far, no luck!

The next few days will be busy and very tiring. Ron is still unable to eat or drink anything, just his TPN (IV) and ice chips; eating will have to wait until after surgery. I'd love to say we'll be able to see everyone, but it's still VERY IMPORTANT to KEEP RON as GERM-FREE as possible. The goal is to have him home for a while to recuperate, gain strength and energy..."fine tune" everything in preparation for his big surgery sometime in the near future. Sorry to say...HE'LL STILL BE RESTRICTED FROM HAVING VISITORS. It makes us sad, but it's in his best interest, and as we all know...it's all about Ron! (Sorry, Sharon, you'll have to wait!)

We already know we will have to return to Presby next Tuesday for more Interventional Radiology, plus an appointment with Dr. Shires while we're over here. We will have to make this trip every week to 10 days.

I know we can count on you to pray for a smooth transition. We're confident everything will fall into place and so far have not been anxious about anything but I'm sure we'll have our moments! Hopefully not too many, though. I did just about have a nervous breakdown first time I did Ron's flush on my own. With the nurse standing over my shoulder it makes me nervous, then Ron jerked away and cried out and I just about had a heart attack! Then I saw him grinning....Such a turkey, I didn't hurt him; he did it just to scare me!!! He and Lirio (nurse) both thought it was hilarious!!! I don't think he's thinking very clearly, obviously he didn't remember his life is in my hands for the next however long....I'll be the keeper of the "lollipops" so he better be on his best behavior or things could get pretty ugly!

Please pray we will all get a good night's sleep; everyone's very excited to get our family back together at home! Thanks for your continued prayers!

Love, Christie

"Those who know Your name will trust in You, for You, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek You." Psalm 9:10

No comments:

It's here!!! Ron tells his story

Love it when my hubby shares!. Though a very condensed version, Ron eloquently shared with our youth group a few weeks ago. Below are his th...