Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Back in ICU

Well, in the last 24 hours Ron's gone from being able to go without any IV hookups for 8 hours a day, back to having IV pole with 4 ports and 7 bags!!!!

They finally moved him into ICU from recovery around 10:30 last night; temp was down to 102 (from 103.2), heart rate was beginning to creep down to between 100-110 (had been 120's to low 130's) but they had trouble stabilizing his blood pressure even through the night. The first med they were administering wasn't touching it, so they switched over to Levophed.

Blood pressure is finally beginning to look better but is still requiring meds to keep it manageable. He's on a broad spectrum of antibiotics, antifungal, lots of IV fluids, magnesium, BP med.....not sure what else. I've been told he'll remain in ICU until they can get his blood pressure under control and wean him off the Levophed. He was extremely dehydrated (more than 5 liters). Not sure how/why that happened so quickly since they had upped the volume of his TPN to include extra fluid. He continues to have a horrendous headache, docs says it's most likely from dehydration.

So far, all lab work has come back negative. Temp is now @ 100 and BP is 95/60. They want to get a CT to check his abdomen but can't do that until his blood pressure has been stable for a while. They say whenever they remove or manipulate any of the tubes, it can stir up something that may have been dormant. PRAISE GOD we were here at Presby when all of this hit!

Please continue to pray for my sweet hubby! He's really been through the wringer but remains such a trooper through it all. Only fuss I've heard from him has been regarding the terrible headache, and the soreness in his arm where they had to stick him multiple times to draw blood and twice for IV (couldn't use PICC line at that point).

He's snoring away as I'm writing.....poor guy, didn't get much sleep with the headache and all the stuff they were having to run through him last night. I was with him til @1AM and when I called to check on him at 5:30 they said he dozed off and on, but didn't get good sleep.

God is so good, as soon as I heard they would be admitting him I ran upstairs to check on a room and they actually had one available (typically have to get on a waiting list); and they have me down to always get the $20 rate....Woo hoo, frequent stay program!!!!

That's all to report for now...I'll post as soon as I know more!

Love, Christie

PS: Battery is just about out on my cell phone (and it has to remain off in ICU). I'll check calls as I can!

No comments:

It's here!!! Ron tells his story

Love it when my hubby shares!. Though a very condensed version, Ron eloquently shared with our youth group a few weeks ago. Below are his th...